With this one day Maui itinerary, you’ll get to be surrounded by a LOT of nature and the outdoors!
It’s the West Maui mountains!
You can see grand ocean views…
You can see a bamboo forest…
You can see waterfalls…
You can get up close and personal to streams running through the mountains…
And of course you can see mountain views!
And, you’ll even get scenic drives!
First, the quick list of the hiking trails in the West Maui Mountains to make a part of your day trip.
Then, a bit more about specifically how much time each activity may take.
Here are the highlights of one day in the West Maui Mountains!
See the ocean. See the mountains!
See more about this West Maui mountains hike: Waihee Ridge Trail
See the stream. (Cross the stream!) See the bamboo forest. See the waterfalls!
See more about this West Maui mountains hike: 13 crossings
See the stream. See the mountains!
See more about this West Maui mountains hike: Iao Needle Lookout Trail
Day trip to the West Maui Mountains
Since Maui is not that big, you can make this a day trip to the West Maui Mountains from really anywhere on the island. So it can make for a great day trip from the top Maui beach town areas of West Maui (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kapalua) and South Maui (Kihei, Wailea).
MAP of West Maui Mountains
The hikes that are a part of this one day Maui itinerary are on the eastern side of the West Maui mountains. Explore the map.
More below about how much time you may need for hiking the West Maui mountains!
Here's some info on Hawaii trip prep!
- Best shoes for hiking in Hawaii
- The perfect type of shirt for swimming in Hawaii
- Do you need water shoes for Hawaii?
- THE top things to pack for Hawaii
Save the Maui video playlist to watch on youtube later!
Explore the outdoors all over Maui:
- Driving to the top of the Haleakala summit
- Things to do in West Maui with amazing views
- How much time do you need in Waianapanapa State Park?
- Where to see Maui lava fields
- One day in the West Maui mountains with amazing views
- The big list of 50+ things to do on Maui (mostly free and outdoors!)
One day in Maui: The timeline
Of course, your experience may vary! But just to give you an idea of how long you might take, here is how it was for me! I generally move around at a leisurely pace. Times approximate!
- 10:50am: Started the Waihee Ridge Trail
- 12:05pm: Arrived at the Waihee Ridge Trail “summit”
- 1:10pm: Arrived back at the Waihee Ridge trailhead parking
- 1:55pm: Started the 13 Crossings hike
- 2:20pm: Arrived at bamboo forest
- 3:00pm: Arrived at waterfalls #1
- 3:30pm: Arrived at waterfalls #2
- 4:15pm: Arrived back at 13 Crossings trailhead
- 5:00pm: Arrived at Iao Valley State Park
- 5:30pm: Left Iao Valley State Park
And so, the Waihee Ridge Trail took me a little less than 2.5 hours to complete.
The way I did the 13 Crossings hike also took me a little less than 2.5 hours to complete. (There is a fork in the stream, and I went in both directions. Going each way takes you to separate waterfalls.)
I spent around 30 minutes at Iao Valley State Park that included a walk on the Iao Needle Lookout Trail.
See more about each of these hikes in the West Maui mountains! (including pictures!)
See more about driving to the West Maui Mountains:
- Driving to Waihee Ridge trailhead parking
- Driving to 13 Crossings trailhead parking (part of the one-lane Kahekili Highway)
- Driving to Iao Valley State Park
👆 Getting to Waihee Ridge Trail parking
👆 Getting to Makamakaole Stream trail parking
👆 Getting to Iao Valley trail parking
And those are some ideas on how to spend one day in Maui!
For more things to do on Maui that include mountain views and ocean views, also see:
You can also see the West Maui Mountains by BOAT when you take a ferry from Maui to Lanai!
See more of the best of Maui:
HAPPY ONE DAY IN THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS!