So you’re headed to the Iao Valley state monument to see the iconic Iao Valley “needle”!
I made a visit to Iao Valley state park in January 2020 and this is based on my experience. Parking situations can change!
There are basically 2 options for parking:
- Free parking on the side of the road leading up to the state park
- $10 parking fee at the parking lot
More below on getting to Iao Valley State Park!
Here's some info on Maui trip prep!
- One of the most popular Maui activities: Haleakala sunrise tour at 10,000 ft
- Best shoes for hiking in Hawaii
- The perfect type of shirt for swimming in Hawaii
- THE top things to pack for Hawaii
There are affiliate links on this page.
You can read reviews for the best Maui tours.
I have a lot of 30-90 second Maui outdoor travel videos. A few of them might be on this page. If you can't see the video directly above, save the Maui video playlist to watch on youtube later!
MAUI TOP 3
- Haleakala summit on your own OR Haleakala sunrise tour
- Molokini + turtle town snorkeling tour OR Maui snorkeling on your own
- Road to Hana on your own OR Road to Hana tour OR Road to Hana helicopter
The big list: 50+ things to do on Maui (mostly free + outdoors!)
IMPORTANT!!! If you wanted to see the famous Iao Valley in the West Maui Mountains, unfortunately that won't be possible from August 2022 and the rest of the year. Check the Hawaii State Parks website to confirm.
Where is the free parking at Iao Valley state park?
So once you get close to Iao Valley State Park, you’ll start to see signs for the state park.
You’ll then basically just drive to the end of the road.
Then if you’re arriving at a time where there are a bunch of people there, then you’ll see cars parked on the side of the road before you even see the entrance to the state park.
And it’s around here that you’ll park to get the free parking!
So you’ll be parking on the shoulder.
Or, if you don’t mind a $10 parking fee, you can keep driving to find a parking spot at the official Iao Valley State Monument parking lot.
But just know that the difference between paying for parking and not paying for parking is determined by which side of the yellow gate you park on!
If you go past the yellow gates, you’ll enter the paid parking area.
Iao Valley State Park entry fee
Old entry fee!
Cost of Iao Valley State Park entry in 2021
The parking fee is $10 per vehicle.
Aside from the parking fee, there is an entry fee of $5 per person for Iao Valley State Park. This is new in 2021. (There used to be no entry fee if you arrived on foot.) You can check for current entry fees here.
And that’s a bit about parking at Iao Valley!
Plus, if you are interested in Iao Valley, then you may also be interested in these top activities on Maui:
- Waihee Ridge Trail
- How to spend one day in the West Maui Mountains
- Pipiwai Trail
- Kapalua Coastal Trail
- Nakalele Blowhole
- Hoapili Trail
- Driving to the Haleakala summit
- Sliding Sands Trail
- Best of Maui hiking
HAPPY DRIVING IAO VALLEY ROAD TO THE STATE PARK!
More of the best things to do in Hawaii:
- Things to do in Maui
- Things to do in Haleakala National Park
- Things to do in Lanai
- Best things to do in Oahu
- Things to do in Kona
- Things to do on the Big Island
- Things to do in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- How a cheapo waterproof phone case works
- Why wear water shoes for the beach
- Why a personal swim buoy is an essential for snorkeling and swimming in the ocean
- Essentials to pack for Maui
- Best shoes for Maui
There are affiliate links on this page. Among other partners, as an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission from this.