You could say this beach is hidden in plain sight!
If you didn’t know any better, you could be driving along in South Maui, and pass right by it not thinking anything of it!
But what’s behind that wall…?!
A beautiful public beach with beautiful ocean views!
This is called Makena Cove (it’s also been called Secret Cove), not to be confused with Makena Beach, which is a part of Makena State Park and a grand pretty expansive beach (that actually has 2 sections with a “big beach” and the also hidden “little beach“).
Here's some info on Hawaii trip prep!
- Best shoes for hiking in Hawaii
- The perfect type of shirt for swimming in Hawaii
- Do you need water shoes for Hawaii?
- THE top things to pack for Hawaii
Save the Maui video playlist to watch on youtube later!
Explore the outdoors all over Maui:
- Driving to the top of the Haleakala summit
- Things to do in West Maui with amazing views
- How much time do you need in Waianapanapa State Park?
- Where to see Maui lava fields
- One day in the West Maui mountains with amazing views
- The big list of 50+ things to do on Maui (mostly free and outdoors!)
Can you get to Makena Cove by bus?
The nearest bus stop to Makena Cove is near the Shops of Wailea. Makena Cove is 4.5 miles away from the bus stop. So for most people, this probably isn’t walking distance, and this would mean that you can’t get to Makena Cove by bus.
So, driving is the best option!
More photos of Makena Cove!
And there’s a beach to consider visiting in South Maui!
Make it a day trip to South Maui!
- Things to do in South Maui (make it a snorkeling + beach day!)
- Best hike in South Maui (hike across old lava flows – make it a hike + beach day!)
For another quieter beach on Maui that gets less tourists, try Ironwoods Beach! This is located in West Maui on the Kapalua Coastal Trail. Makena Cove is sometimes referred to as a photography spot for couples, and the same goes for Ironwoods Beach.
HAPPY BEACH TIME AT MAKENA COVE!