You could say this beach is hidden in plain sight!
If you didn’t know any better, you could be driving along in South Maui, and pass right by it not thinking anything of it!
But what’s behind that wall…?!
A beautiful public beach with beautiful ocean views!
This is called Makena Cove (it’s also been called Secret Cove), not to be confused with Makena Beach, which is a part of Makena State Park and a grand pretty expansive beach (that actually has 2 sections with a “big beach” and the also hidden “little beach“).
Here's some info on Maui trip prep!
- One of the most popular Maui activities: Haleakala sunrise tour at 10,000 ft
- Best shoes for hiking in Hawaii
- The perfect type of shirt for swimming in Hawaii
- THE top things to pack for Hawaii
There are affiliate links on this page.
You can read reviews for the best Maui tours.
I have a lot of 30-90 second Maui outdoor travel videos. A few of them might be on this page. If you can't see the video directly above, save the Maui video playlist to watch on youtube later!
MAUI TOP 3
- Haleakala summit on your own OR Haleakala sunrise tour
- Molokini + turtle town snorkeling tour OR Maui snorkeling on your own
- Road to Hana on your own OR Road to Hana tour OR Road to Hana helicopter
The big list: 50+ things to do on Maui (mostly free + outdoors!)
IMPORTANT!!! If you wanted to see the famous Iao Valley in the West Maui Mountains, unfortunately that won't be possible from August 2022 and the rest of the year. Check the Hawaii State Parks website to confirm.
Can you get to Makena Cove by bus?
The nearest bus stop to Makena Cove is near the Shops of Wailea. Makena Cove is 4.5 miles away from the bus stop. So for most people, this probably isn’t walking distance, and this would mean that you can’t get to Makena Cove by bus.
So, driving is the best option!
More photos of Makena Cove!
And there’s a beach to consider visiting in South Maui!
Make it a day trip to South Maui!
- Things to do in South Maui (make it a snorkeling + beach day!)
- Best hike in South Maui (hike across old lava flows – make it a hike + beach day!)
For another quieter beach on Maui that gets less tourists, try Ironwoods Beach! This is located in West Maui on the Kapalua Coastal Trail. Makena Cove is sometimes referred to as a photography spot for couples, and the same goes for Ironwoods Beach.
HAPPY BEACH TIME AT MAKENA COVE!
- Best things to do in Lanai
- Best things to do in Oahu
- Best Oahu beaches
- Best things to do in Kona
- Best things to do on the Big Island
- Things to do in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- How a cheapo waterproof phone case works
- Why wear water shoes for the beach
- Why a personal swim buoy is an essential for snorkeling and swimming in the ocean
- Essentials to pack for Maui
- Best shoes for Maui
There are affiliate links on this page. Among other partners, as an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission from this.