This is a completely man-made cave (aka not natural) on Maui but it could still be a fun experience to have a drink or 2 (and maybe some food) at a bar in a “cave” (grotto). There’s even a cave pool.
The Grotto Bar is located along Kaanapali Beach in West Maui.
Kaanapali is one of the main resort areas on Maui, and there are a number of hotels and resorts that are beachfront hotels with Kaanapali Beach located right out in front. (aka very short walk to the beach if you stay in one of these Kaanapali resorts!)
Beachfront resorts in Kaanapali near Grotto Bar
- Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
- Marriott’s Maui Ocean Club
- The Westin Maui Resort and Spa
- The Aston Kaanapali Shores
- Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa
Official words from the Hyatt Regency Maui about the Grotto Bar:
Located between waterfalls in a rustic cave setting, Grotto Bar offers a unique place to grab a drink and light pub fare.
Swim up to the bar for an exclusive menu of frozen and traditional cocktails, available only at Grotto, as well as TVs that stream the day’s gaming action.
Grotto Bar hours
This is a day-time bar.
- 11am to 5pm
- Happy hours:
- 11am to 12pm
- 4pm to 5pm
Here's some info on Hawaii trip prep!
- Best shoes for hiking in Hawaii
- The perfect type of shirt for swimming in Hawaii
- Do you need water shoes for Hawaii?
- THE top things to pack for Hawaii
Save the Maui video playlist to watch on youtube later!
Explore the outdoors all over Maui:
- Driving to the top of the Haleakala summit
- Things to do in West Maui with amazing views
- How much time do you need in Waianapanapa State Park?
- Where to see Maui lava fields
- One day in the West Maui mountains with amazing views
- The big list of 50+ things to do on Maui (mostly free and outdoors!)
How to get to the Grotto Bar
Located right along Kaanapali Beach!
There are basically 2 ways to get to the Grotto Bar.
1. Walk into the waterfalls through pool
A way you can get there if you’re staying at the Hyatt
2. Walk along the oceanfront Kaanapali Beachwalk trail
The publicly accessible way to get there if you’re not a guest at the Hyatt
Outdoor pool at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort
So the Hyatt located on Kaanapali Beach also has an outdoor pool. This pool is only for guests of the Hyatt.
You can walk right through from the pool side, and it’s connected to the Grotto Bar, walking (or swimming!) through a “waterfall” along the way!
aka oceanfront paved trail!
If you’re not staying at the Hyatt (and even if you are – another option!), then you can access the Grotto Bar by taking the “Kaanapali Beachwalk” which is a paved trail that runs right alongside Kaanapali Beach.
Once you get in the area of the Hyatt Regency, you’ll see an opening for the “cave” to go to the Grotto Bar.
What’s on the menu at the Grotto Bar?!
Drink offerings, food offerings, prices, and everything subject to change! These photos were taken February 2020.
At the Grotto Bar, they have pretty much the same menu as the Umalu, another poolside dining option at the Hyatt. The Umalu menu shown below is what was located at the Grotto Bar.
And that’s a bit about a bar that’s right along the Kaanapali Beach Walk!
Plan out more of your West Maui adventures!
1. Waihee Ridge Trail
Drive time from Hyatt Regency Maui to Waihee Ridge Trail is around 1 hour. Recommended to drive from the south.
4. Previously heart-shaped rock and Nakalele blowhole
Drive time from Hyatt Regency Maui to Nakalele blowhole is around 30 minutes.
5. Olivine Pools
Drive time from Hyatt Regency Maui to Olivine Pools is around 40 minutes.
And see more of the best of West Maui!
HAPPY DRINKING AT THE CAVE BAR ON MAUI!