So you want to get around Key West without a car!
Does Key West have a free shuttle?
Key West has a FREE bus that can get you to some of the most popular tourist attractions in Key West!
It’s the Duval Loop bus!
It’s free to ride around Key West on the Duval Loop bus!
Is it easy to get around Key West without a car?
Yes, it is easy to get around Key West without a car because there is the Duval Loop bus!
The Duval Loop bus is largely intended for tourists that include many first time visitors to Key West, so it’s made to be easy to get around Key West by riding the Duval Loop bus!
Since you don’t even need to pay anything, all you have to do is get on and off the bus!
The “hardest” part will be figuring out which stop you should get off at, and to pay attention to know when to get off.
So overall, it’s pretty easy to take the free Duval Loop bus to get around Key West without a car!
And, since you won’t be driving in Key West, it means you won’t need to figure out street parking!
If you don’t mind paying for your Key West experience, then there is also the Old Town Trolley that makes it easy to get around Key West without a car.
Where are the Duval Loop bus stops located?
The Duval Loop goes around the touristy area of Key West.
According to the City of Key West:
The free Duval Loop hop-on hop-off Key West bus service runs from the City’s Park and Ride on Grinnell Street, along Caroline Street, right on Simonton Street, around Front Street, up the length of Whitehead, through Truman Waterfront, then returns down the length of Simonton to Fleming.
But you have no idea where these streets are… so how do you figure out where to go?!
The easiest way to know how to get to a bus stop is to consult Google Maps!
Once you are in google maps, you can type in your starting point and destination that is within walking distance of the Duval Loop bus route.
Then, you will look for the public transit icon in google maps and click that!
It will show you the nearest Duval Loop bus stop to you!
DL = Duval Loop.
👆 Explore the Duval Loop bus route on google maps.
When you are looking in google maps, you can also look for the Duval Loop bus stops by looking for the little bus icon.
You can compare the bus stop you see to the official Duval Loop route map to confirm the bus stop location too. (Save the Duval Loop bus route map to your phone!)
Then, when you’re on the bus, you can follow along with GPS to know when it’s your stop.
You’ll pull the yellow cord you see on the bus to signal to the bus driver to get off next.
What do the Duval Loop bus stops look like?
You will see a bus symbol along with a “Duval Loop” sign to know that you are in the right spot!
Most, if not all, bus stops do not have any benches to sit at while you wait at the bus stop. (Or rather, I did not notice any.)
What are the bus timings?
The official word from the City of Key West is that the Duval Loop bus comes around every 20-30 minutes.
The hours of the Duval Loop bus are from 8am to 10pm every day of the week, except for the holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.
See below for what it looks like to take the Duval Loop bus in Key West!
Here's some info on Florida Keys trip prep!
- Florida Keys snorkeling tour to North America's only living coral reef
- The perfect type of shirt for swimming in the Florida Keys
- Do you need water shoes for the Florida Keys?
- Cheapo waterproof phone case for snorkeling
- Personal swim buoy float is perfect for snorkeling and swimming in the ocean
I have a lot of 30-90 second Florida outdoor travel videos. A few of them might be on this page. If you can't see the video directly below, it might be because you have an ad blocker. Save the Florida Keys video playlist to watch on youtube later!
There are affiliate links on this page.
More for your time in the Florida Keys and beyond:
- Camping in Bahia Honda State Park
- Snorkeling in Bahia Honda State Park
- Beach snorkeling in Key West
- Things to do in the Florida Keys
- Camping in the Florida Keys
- One day in Key West
- Miami to Key West road trip
- Tampa to Key West road trip
How to get around Key West without a car… for free!
How do you actually take the Duval Loop bus?!
- Go to the Duval Loop bus stop nearest you.
- Wait for the bus to arrive!
- Get on the Duval Loop bus!
- Enjoy the ride through Key West!
- Follow along by GPS on your phone, and once your stop is near, pull on the yellow cord to signify to the bus driver to stop at the next stop.
- Get off the bus.
- ENJOY KEY WEST!!!
1. Go to the Duval Loop bus stop nearest you.
2. Wait for the bus to arrive!
3. Get on the Duval Loop bus!
4. Enjoy the ride through Key West!
5. Follow along by GPS on your phone, and once your stop is near, pull on the yellow cord to signal to the bus driver to stop at the next stop.
👆 Pull the yellow cord to signal that you want to get off at the next bus stop on the Duval Loop.
6. Get off the bus.
7. ENJOY KEY WEST!!!
And that’s a little about taking the bus around Key West!
More for your Florida Keys road trip and beyond:
- One day in Key West
- Southernmost Point of the continental US
- Smathers Beach
- South Beach Key West
- Bahia Honda State Park (1 hour from Key West)
- Looe Key in Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (best snorkeling in the Florida Keys)
- Key Largo to Key West
- Miami to Key West
- Naples to Key West
- Marco Island to Key West
- 2 hours in Miami Beach
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
HAPPY RIDING THE DUVAL LOOP BUS AROUND KEY WEST!
Things to pack for your Florida vacation!
The ultimate beach towel for travel?!Turkish towels are considered to be more absorbent and lightweight than your average beach towel. Be sure to check out turkish towels like these!
The cheapo way to waterproof your phoneYou can take underwater pictures with a simple waterproof phone case like this. Touch screen may not work well underwater - try the volume button to snap the pic instead!
Get your suitcase more organized!Packing cubes can make it so you're spending less time on your vacation looking for things! They are basically a form of drawers in your suitcase. Take a look at these packing cubes.
Wear less sunscreen by wearing a UPF swim shirt!Wearing a swim shirt means less skin that's exposed to the sun which means less sunscreen you need to apply! See about wearing swim shirts with UV protection like these when you're swimming.
More for your Florida packing list
- How a cheapo waterproof phone case works
- Why wear water shoes for the beach
- Why a personal swim buoy is an essential for ocean swimming
- What to pack for Florida beaches
- What to pack for Florida springs
- What to pack for shelling in Florida
- What to pack for snorkeling in Florida