One of these lakes is Center Lake.
And like the other Custer State Park lakes, you can go for a nice leisurely walk directly along the lake!
This is one of the quieter lakes that’s located in a slightly more remote area of the park.
Some quick things about Center Lake in Custer State Park of the Black Hills
1. Center Lake is listed as being at an elevation of 4,685 feet.
This is according to the Custer State Park magazine.
2. Center Lake is located in a more remote area of Custer State Park.
Depending on where you’re coming from, you’ll get on either the popular Needles Highway or the popular Iron Mountain Road. (The iconic Needles Highway tunnel is towards the northern end, and similarly, the iconic Iron Mountain Road tunnels with the views of Mount Rushmore are at the northern end.)
Share the Custer State Park video with the people you’ll be traveling to South Dakota with!
Both of these roads connect to Playhouse Road which is a lesser traveled road in Custer State Park. Then as you’re driving Playhouse Road, you’ll find a sign for the road to Center Lake.
You’ll start to see signs for Center Lake campground.
3. Center Lake has a hiking trail that goes right alongside the lake!
For a little bit of variety, there is a little bit of stepping over some big rocks.
But otherwise, you can consider this an easy hike in Custer State Park!
The Legion Lake Trail is listed as being a little less than a mile. You’ll be walking mostly along the lake, but there are spots where you’ll be hiking around the rocks of the Black Hills too!
More pictures of hiking along the trail along Center Lake below!
Also see more of the best hikes in Custer State Park, including other easy Custer State Park lake trails.
4. The Lost Trails start near Center Lake
Part of that trail that goes along Center Lake is part of what’s called the Lost Trails. If you’re looking for a longer hike, you can hike more of the Lost Trails.
There are a couple of spots near Center Lake that you can get started on the Lost Trails. You can start the Lost Trails near the Center Lake beach, and you can also start hiking from near the Center Lake campground.
5. There is a swimming beach at Center Lake.
There are no lifeguards at the Center Lake beach.
6. There are picnic tables along Center Lake.
You can bring your own food and eat with lake views!
7. There is a bathroom near the Center Lake beach.
8. There is the Center Lake Campground which is right along the lake.
You can get campsites with lake views in Custer State Park at Center Lake!
For tent camping and smaller RV camping, there’s a traditional campground that’s managed by South Dakota state parks.
This is one of the many Custer State Park campgrounds.
This is a somewhat modern campground with bathrooms and showers, but no electricity at the campsite.
As of 2021, “all sites are available by same-day reservations.”
When I drove through the campground on a Saturday afternoon in August, the campground seemed pretty empty. Of course, your experience may vary!
There are no South Dakota state park camping cabins at the Center Lake Campground.
More below about what it’s like to hike the Center Lake trail!
Save the South Dakota video playlist to watch on youtube later!
See the best of South Dakota outdoors:
- Best places to visit in South Dakota for VIEWS
- Planning a South Dakota camping trip
- Best things to do in the Black Hills for views
- Best things to do in Badlands National Park for views
- Camping cabins in South Dakota state parks
Starting the Center Lake Trail
Once you are near, you can follow the signs to the Center Lake campground, and then onwards to the Center Lake beach to start the trail along Center Lake.
There is a parking lot for the Center Lake beach.
Then you can walk towards the Center Lake beach, and off to the right you will see a trail that starts along the lake.
And then you can start your lakeside walk along Center Lake!
And then when you are good with the amount of lake views you’ve seen, you can turn around!
And that’s a bit about Center Lake in Custer State Park!
See about more hiking trails in Custer State Park:
HAPPY WALKING ALONG CENTER LAKE!
Watch the videos to see South Dakota in action!
Find more amazing things to do in South Dakota: Watch my South Dakota videos on youtubeIf you see an activity you like, look in the description below the youtube video for the individual blog post about that specific activity!
Plan more of your trip to South Dakota and beyond
- Best places to visit in the Badlands and Black Hills
- Quick things to do in Badlands National Park for views
- Things to do in the Black Hills for views
- Things to do in Custer State Park for views of the Black Hills
- Things to do in Mount Rushmore
- Driving from Badlands National Park to Mount Rushmore
- Driving from Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone
- 7 day drive across Wyoming
- Things to do in remote Theodore Roosevelt National Park (North Dakota)